Nintendo GameCube and Wii Dumping Guide with a PC
From Redump Wiki
Dumping retail GameCube and Wii is generally considered easier to do with a Wii console (see: Dumping Guide with a Wii Console), so you might want to start there.
However this guide is for dumping Nintendo GC and Nintendo Wii discs with a PC. This guide is additionally useful because it can be used to dump dev discs (NR GameCube dev discs and RVT-R Wii dev discs), which would otherwise require development GameCube NR and/or a Wii RVT-R Reader console (see: Nintendo GameCube NR and Wii RVT-R Dumping Guide with NR Reader and RVT-R Reader).
Tools & Setting Up
- Compatible DVD DrivesIA backup (see also: Incompatible List):
- GDR-8082N (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDR8082N0L03, GDR8082N0007 (2040MB/hr), GDR8082N0010, GDR8082N0C07 (1300MB/hr), GDR8082N0120, GDR8082N0106 (very slow)
- GDR-8161B (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDR8161B0042 (2190MB/hr), GDR8161B0043 (2420MB/hr), GDR8161B0100 (2550MB/hr), GDR8161B0102
- GDR-8162B (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDR8162B0015 (2600MB/hr), GDR8162B0018 (2130MB/hr)
- GDR-8163B (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDR8163B0D20 (1900MB/hr), GDR8163B0B26 (1630MB/hr), GDR8163B0L23 (1654MB/hr)
- GDR-8164B (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDR8164B0B07, GDR8164B0L06, GDR8164B0B10 (1780MB/hr)
- GDR-H10N (HL-DT-STDVD-ROM): GDRH10NB0B10, GDRH10NB0F03
- LG GH20NS15
- Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203A
- Philips DVD+RW SDVD8441 PA48 IDE (GC only)
- Needs confirmation: SW-9585-B, SW-9585-C
- Download Rawdump 2.1 (alternate option Friidump 0.5.3)
- Download and install the latest version of HashCalc. or any other program that you prefer for calculating CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1
Dumping Retail Discs
- Insert the disc into the drive and launch Rawdump 2.1, and press "Start Dump". This will take some time. For Wii games, expect 2+ hours, and for gamecube games, expect 30+ minutes. The file will save as a .wii or .wod file. Press the "Convert raw to .iso"
- After the disc has been copied, launch HashCalc, check MD5, SHA1 and CRC32 rows, uncheck others. Select File option from the Data format list, then press button next to the Data field, select dumped image and press Calculate. The calculation process may take up to several minutes. These checksums should be posted along with other info.
- Dump your disc again and compare old dump checksums with the new ones. If checksums are the same, your disc has been dumped properly.
Dumping NR (GameCube) & RVT-R (Wii) Dev Discs
For Dumping NR or RVT-R discs you'll need to do an additional "swap disc" method step which requires preparing your drive as seen here.
- Insert retail game into drive.
- Wait for drive to stop spinning.
- Open RawDump.
- Wait for it to stop spinning again.
- Remove lid, remove retail game. Swap in NR / RVT-R disc.
- Hit "Start Dump".