DiscImageCreator: Optical Disc Drive Compatibility
From Redump Wiki
DiscImageCreator (DIC) is an a disc dumping app focusing on perfect disc dumping only. Some formats require certain drive models to dump perfectly.
DVD-Video and DVD-Rom dumping is supported with ANY drive that supports the DVD format. For your first dump/submission, please dump twice to verify matching hashes for any potentially misbehaving DVD-Rom drives.
For Xbox OG and 360 see this drive list.
CD-Rom / CD-Audio
CD format is particularly a pain in the ass, hardware support wise. Only certain models of Plextor brand drives can dump with DIC. Your drive should have the final firmware installed. The final firmware is also linked below for most models.
- USB Models:
- SATA Models. Note: These can be very hard to find or expensive, it's often easier to just buy an IDE model + IDE > USB adapter.
- IDE Models. Note: IDE models can be used on a Laptop with a USB Adapter (search "UGREEN USB to IDE Converter, USB 3.0 to IDE" on Amazon - do NOT buy a cheap crappy Chinese adapter) or a Desktop tower with a cheap card.
- PX-760 series: PX-760A
- PX-755 series: PX-755A
- PX-716 series: PX-716A, PX-716AL
- PX-714 series:
- PX-712 series: PX-712A
- PX-708 series: PX-708A
- PX-704 series:
- Premium2 series:
- Premium series: Premium, PremiumU
- PX-W5224 series: PX-W5224A, PX-W5224TA, PX-W5224TU
- PX-4824 series: PX-W4824A, PX-W4824TA, PX-W4824U, PX-W4824TU
- PX-4012 series: PX-W4012A, PX-W4012TA, PX-W4012S, PX-W4012TS, PX-W4012U, PX-W4012TU
- SCSI Models: SCSI models can only be used with a Desktop tower with a cheap card (no laptops).
- PX-W4220T, PX-32TS/CS, PX-83CS/85CS, PX-63CS/65CS, PX-43CS 43CE 43CH/45CS 45CE 45CH, DM-3028/5028, DM-3024/5024, DM-3021/5021, DM-3020/5020
GDs are strange in that they contain two distinctly different areas of data. What this means to you is that you will have to dump the disc's LD and HD area separately. Unfortunately, this also means that you will need special hardware.
For dumping the LD area, the same rules apply as in dumping a CD, as they use the same technology. A list of compatible drives for dumping LD area is found below (and a more up-to-date list can be found in the CD Dumping Guide.) The Plextor PX-708 is the only drive model that supports both LD and HD areas.
Only Plextor brand disc drives are supported for dumping the LD area:
- PX 7-series models: PX-704, PX-708, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716, PX-755, PX-760
- Premium series models: Premium, Premium2
- Addition PX-series models: PX-4012, PX-4824, PX-W5224, PX-W4220T, PX-32TS, PX-32CS, PX-83CS, PX-85CS, PX-63CS, PX-65CS, PX-43CS, PX-43CE, PX-43CH, PX-45CS, PX-45CE, PX-45CH
- DM-series models: DM-3028, DM-5028, DM-3024, DM-5024, DM-3021, DM-5021, DM-3020, DM-5020
But for the HD area the process is different, and you need one of the following drives to dump it. In our testing, some drives worked better than others:
- Samsung TSSTCorp models:
- TS-H353A aka SH-D163A
- TS-H352C aka SH-162C
Not Recommended (were unfriendly compared to Recommended models during dump tests):
- Samsung TSSTCorp models: TS-H353B
Untested, but should work(?)
- Lite-On models: LH-18A1H, SOHD-167T, LTD-165H, SOHD-16P9S
- Plextor models: PX-W4824TA, PX-W4824TU, PX-755SA
- Samsung TSSTCorp models: TS-H192C, SH-D162D
- NEC model: CDR-1901A
- LG model: GCR-8522B
PlayStation 3 & 4
Compatible drive list sourced from here.
- LG models: BH26NS40, UH12NS30, BH16NS40, BH16NS48, BH14NS40, WH24NS40, WH12LS30, WH24LS30, WH26NS40, WH16NS40, WH14NS40, WH16NS48, BP50NB40
- Asus models: BC-08B1LT, BC-16D1HT, BC-12B1ST, BC-12D2HT, BW-12B1ST, BW-16D1HT
- LITE-ON models: DH-4O1S, IHBS112
- Sony Optiarc 5300S
- Sony PlayStation 3 stock drive with 3k3y ripper adapter
- BENQ BR1000
Xbox original & Xbox 360
Dumping Xbox original and Xbox 360 there are two options for hardware. The Kreon is much easier and cheaper.
- Kreon disc drives:
- SATA models:
- SH-D163A aka TS-H353A
- SH-D163B aka TS-H353B (won't work externally with an adapter, must mount in a pc tower)
- IDE models:
- SH-162C aka TS-H352C aka SD-M2012C(?)
- SH-D162D aka TS-H352D
- SATA models:
- 0800 drive flashed with custom firmware + Team Xecuter X360USB PRO
For compatibilty discussion see
- Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD03VA (BDC-TD03): Only compatible with single layer BD-25 discs, not double layer BD-50 discs.